Friday, February 12, 2010

Make This Year a Happy One!

If you're anything like me, it's easy to have the "winter blues." I look outside and see gray dreary days and I long for the sunshine and warmth. There are times I'd like to snuggle in my blanket never to be seen again until the first signs of spring.

Well...I have living to do just like the rest of you and I have to keep going...going for my family, going to work, going to church, going for others, and going for myself!

There are ways we can snap out of that depressing mood and infuse ourselves with happiness and joy. I'm not talking about clinical depression here. For those of you who suffer from clinical depression please see a psychologist/psychiatrist and/or naturopath.

I decided to look for ways to enhance my winter experience, so I'm not merely muddling through, praying the season away. Here is what I've found that really works for me. Don't get me wrong...I'm no doubt a summer person, but I am also a person who loves life and who wants the best out of each moment. So, here are some of my suggestions for "clearing up the gray skies...and putting on a happy face!"

  1. EXERCISE - Do something you love doing! The important thing is that you're moving...I love to dance around my house. I tune the channel to fun, upbeat music and cha cha cha I'm a dancin' fool. If my son happens to be privileged to witness that sight...he'll say, "Mom! No! Don't EVER do that again!" But, I brush him off and many times I'll grab his hand and make him dance with me. By the time I'm done, it wouldn't matter to me if I were living in an igloo on an iceberg (not really!)... I am over-joyed and excited about my day. Another exercise I enjoy in the winter is rebounding (on my mini trampoline). This is the only exercise that works every cell in your body...I'm beginning to believe there is no other exercise that matches its effectiveness. Check out this website!
  2. FORGIVE - I believe it is very important to mental health to forgive others. When we forgive others, much of our depression is lifted. Perhaps we can forgive another person face-to-face, but sometimes that isn't always possible, so perhaps we can imagine ourselves forgiving someone else in a meditative state. Find a comfortable sitting position and deep breathe in through your nose and out through your mouth and imagine yourself forgiving that person (and it never hurts to ask God for help!!).
  3. DRINK TEA - Personally, my favorite is Tulsi Tea! I drink a pot of Tulsi Green Tea in the morning and Tulsi Chamomile with Honey in the evening. This always gives me a boost of energy and lightens my mood.
  4. COMMIT TO ORGANIC FOODS -  I believe there are additives, preservatives, and chemicals in our foods that encourage a depressive mood. Try minimizing artificial sweeteners (I use Agave Nectar as a sweetener), refined sugars and flours, and dairy products (I use organic raw cheese when I need it for a recipe). Increase fruits and vegetables...This suggestion, I believe, is one of the most important.
  5. TAKE A WHOLE FOOD SUPPLEMENT EVERY DAY - I drink Alive by Nature's Way and I feel fantastic afterward. My energy levels are through the roof and I feel very joyful and ready for my day. The key here is to make sure that what you are taking is a "whole food" supplement. Alive has digestive enzymes, omega fatty acids, and Spirulina/green food blend, all of which enables proper movement of toxins out of the body. I know this is a yucky topic for a blog, but I believe it is so important it bears mentioning...I have a b.m. twice a day and I know I am much happier and content having expelled all of those toxins in my body. Would I rather have them lie stagnant in my body or FLUSHED!! Hello........
  6. PRAY AND MEDITATE - I've saved the very best for last! I cannot imagine living a single day without the Lord in my life. When I pray and meditate on His Word...I immediately feel euphoric and peaceful at the same time. I am so overjoyed that my Heavenly Father allows me to call myself His daughter and at the same time peaceful...with sort of a calm assurance knowing He has the control handles of my life. 
There are oodles of things we can do to enhance our day, but I would say, these are my top 6...Do you have a top 6? What do you do to beat the winter time blues? I'd LOVE to hear from you!

Happy living!!

Marisa


    No comments: